Saving at Disney: Disney Rewards Visa
Disney can be an expensive trip for a family to take, but there are a few discounts (even some freebies) you can get to make your trip a little more affordable.
You might not think of a credit card saving you money at Disney, but by becoming a Disney Rewards Visa Cardholder, continue reading to see what discounts you are able to receive. I’m not an advocate for credit cards, and in no way do I endorse living above your means, but if you are a Disney fan and feel the need for a credit card, then the Disney Rewards Visa is an awesome card to have. When I know that we are planning a Disney trip, I will use my card for purchases up until the trip (I make sure that I pay off my balance each month). This allows me to accumulate Disney Rewards Dollars. Disney Rewards Dollars are a 1% reward that you can use just like money at ALMOST anywhere on Disney property as well as for other Disney purchases. (The new Premium Disney Card can earn a 2% to 5% reward depending on where you are.) On our last trip, I paid for all of our meals using our Disney Rewards Dollars…no money out of our pockets! On the Disney Diva’s last trip she had over $800.00 in Disney Reward dollars, just from buying the things she buys every day and paying off her card balance each month.
There are other awesome perks to having a Disney Rewards Visa too!
Perks at Walt Disney World
- 0% APR Vacation financing. If you book a Disney vacation PACKAGE (note, it must be a package. Which means a room on property + tickets) You can book this through Walt Disney directly or your travel agent can do it for you. However take note that after your 6 months is up the APR jumps significantly. So only use this in that way if you feel confident you can pay off your package in 6 months.
- Get an exclusive card members only character meet and greet at Innoventions West at Epcot. Offered daily from 1:30 PM- 4:30 PM. Have your Disney Rewards Visa with you to enter. You also get a complimentary (that’s FREE) 5×7 photo too!
- Get a 10% discount off select merchandise of $50.00 or more at select locations throughout Walt Disney World and at Disneystore.com You must have your Disney Rewards card with you and you must ask for the discount. I have been able to show my card at some locations to receive the discount and then pay with cash.
- Receive 15%-20% off select regular priced guided tours at Walt Disney World Parks. Check out the Disney Rewards website for a full list of tours that qualify for this discount. Be sure to also check restrictions and requirements for each tour.
Perks at Disneyland
In addition to the same perks at Walt Disney World Resort and Parks, Disneyland offers Disney Rewards Visa cardmembers even more savings!
- Exclusive card member meet and greet is at California Adventure next to Monster’s Inc. in Hollywood Pictures Backlot. Starting 30 minutes after park opening and ending 90 minutes after park opening.
- 10% discount at select pin carts as well, LittleMissMatched, RIDEMAKERZ, Alamo Rent-A-Car, ESPN Zone merchandise only and a 20% off select Quicksilver purchases
- There are lots of yummy dining locations that will give you a 10% discount for using your Disney Rewards Visa:
- Disneyland Park – Big Thunder Ranch, River Belle Terrace, French Market Restaurant
- California Adventure Concina Cucamonga
- Disneyland Resort Hotels: Steakhouse 55 (breakfast only), Disney’s PCH Grill Storytellers Café (lunch only)
- Downtown Disney (Disneyland), La Brea Bakery, Café Ralph, Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen, Wetzel’s Pretzels
There is a special Disney Rewards Visa Card member for Disneyland vacation package. This package includes a stay at one of the Hotels at Disneyland and a 3 day Disneyland Park Hopper souvenir ticket plus many extras like: Mickey’s Toontown Morning Madness, an exclusive Disney Rewards collectible pin, lanyard and luggage tag (one per person), preferred parade viewing at Disneyland park or California Adventure, preferred seating at select attractions in California Adventure, and a free Dreams backpack (one per vacation package booked).
These offers are all available year round at each of the resorts. There are even more seasonal and limited time offers that you can get when using your card. Some of these offers include special free dining plan packages during select times, free gifts when you join the Disney Movie Club, and exclusive Card member pins available for purchase.
Make sure to check out our other articles about how to save money during your Disney vacation.
There are so many ways that you can spend money during your Disney vacation, but with a little research, you might even be able to save a little too! Happy saving!