by Military Diva
February is a short month and the list of current Disney Travel Company updates is short as well. But don’t let the small size fool you! The shortlist is full of BIG news! Let’s take a quick look at what happened among the Disney locations this month.
The Walt Disney World Resort
- Disney World guests are still required to have both Park Tickets and Park Reservations to enter the parks. In addition, be sure to visit Disney’s “Know Before You Go” mini-site for current safety information and attendance requirements.
- The Liberty Belle returned to Rivers of America in Disney’s Magic Kingdom! Disney World’s iconic riverboat spent a few months in dry dock this fall. During this time period, the river surrounding Tom Sawyer’s Island was drained and repairs were made to the track as well. When it was time to return, the Liberty Belle took a unique journey through Bay Lake and back to her normal sailing spot. Interested readers can learn more about the journey and catch a glimpse of the riverboat’s open water journey here!
- Superbowl excitement hit Disney’s Magic Kingdom, even without the annual parade. Every year the Superbowl ends with an MVP excitedly replying “I’m going to Disney World!”. And inevitably, members of the winning team celebrate with fans and park goers by joining in Magic Kingdom’s afternoon parade. This year, due to the Covid protocols, Disney World announced that the parade would not be happening. But, Rob Gronkowski was still spotted in the park the next day, raising crowd excitement!
- Disney World is adding four properties to their Gateway Hotel Program. As of early February, interested guests can book “Residence Inn by Marriott at Western Entrance, Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott at Western Entrance, Homewood Suites by Hilton at Western Entrance, and Home2 Suites by Hilton at Western Entrance as part of a Walt Disney World package.
- Disney World Gateway hotels are properties that have received the Walt Disney World stamp of approval and are within close proximity to the parks.
- These properties can be booked directly through Walt Disney World and combined with Magic Your Way tickets.
- Gateway reservation packages can be linked to your “myDisneyexperience” account.
- Newly designed Leave a Legacy panels return to Epcot. The new updated designs can now be found just outside the Epcot entrance. Guests wanting to locate their loved ones tribute can find scan the QR code on the display and receive location coordinates.
- Currently scheduled Walt Disney World Refurbishments can be found on Disney’s “Know Before You Go” website. The most significant refurbishments can be found below…
- Disney’s Animal Kingdom Villas-Kidani Village Samawati Pool is closed from now until April 2022. Guests are welcome to use the Uzima Pool at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge.
- Guest rooms at Disney’s Contemporary Resort, Main Tower are receiving a facelift beginning this April! Most public areas of the resort will be available for guest use.
- The Stormalong Bay waterslide at Disney’s Beach/Yacht Club resort is currently closed for refurbishment. The rest of the pool area will remain open for guest use.
- Disney’s 2021 Military Discounted Rooms and Tickets are now available! This year’s discounts, eligiblity, and allotment details can be found in our most recent military article Disney World Armed Forces Discount for 2021.
- Raya and the Last Dragon, Disney’s newest animated feature, will premier on March 5. The film is expected to be released in theaters and on Disney+.
- New experiences celebrating Disney’s “Raya and the Last Dragon” are heading to Disney’s Animal Kingdom this month.
- Visit the Animation Experience at Disney’s Conservation Station to learn to draw characters from this new feature film.
- Sculptors will be working on a new sand art feature at the Discovery Island Stage. The sculpture will be built in plain view for guests to watch from February 19-21. The art piece will remain visible through the end of March.
- “The World’s Most Magical Celebration” begins October 1st, 2021 at the Walt Disney World resort. Guests are invited to join in and celebrate Walt Disney World’s 50th Anniversary with new decorations, costumes, light features, and more! Pixie Dusted Diva shares all the details in her most recent writing.
- The Disneyland Resort is still officially closed at this time. Select shopping and dining areas of Downtown Disney are available for guests to enjoy.
- Carthay Circle Lounge-Alfresco dining is open again. Reservations are recommended and guests are encouraged to mobile order their food once they reach Buena Vista Street.
- A new limited-time ticket experience is coming to Disney’s California Adventure Park. In celebration of its 20th Anniversary, Disney’s California Adventure Park will be opening its doors in mid-March. Additional details haven’t been released just yet, but we will update you as soon as we hear any!
Disney Cruise Line
- Disney Cruise Line, following CDC guidelines, is advising guests booked on future cruises of the following policy…”If a threshold of COVID-19 is detected onboard the cruise ship during a voyage, the voyage will be ended immediately and the ship will return to the U.S. port of embarkation, and your subsequent travel, including your return home, maybe restricted or delayed.” (Disney Travel Agents)
- New ground transfer details are available for Disney Cruise Line guests
- Guests can still purchase Disney Cruise Line ground transfers to transport them between Orlando International Airport and Port Canaveral (or their Disney World Resort and Port Canaveral)
- Disney’s Magical Express airport/resort transfer service will no longer be available after 2021. Guests staying at a Disney World Resort before or after their cruise will need to book private transfers to move between Orlando International Airport and their resort.
- Disney Magic is welcoming Marvel Day at Sea back for select 2022 sailings out of Miami, FL. Available sailings include…
- 5-Night Western Caribbean Cruises departing January 8, January 22, February 5, February 14, and March 5, 2022
- 5-Night Bahamian Cruise departing January 17, January 31, February 19, and February 28, 2022.
- Disney Fantasy is pleased to welcome Star Wars Day at Sea for select sailings out of Port Canaveral, FL. Available sailings include 7-Night Eastern Caribbean Cruises departing January 8, 15, 22, and 29, 2022; February 5, 12, 19, and 26, 2022; March 5, 2022.
This month has offered the shortest list of updates since last year’s closure in March. While we are all hoping things will return to normal, I can’t help but feel hope in this list. There are more openings than closures and more good news than bad. I can begin to feel a “turning in the tide” and have faith that we are working towards the day when travel is fully safe again.
If you would like more details on any of the Disney, Universal, or other Orlando destinations consider speaking with All for Dreams Travel. Their agents frequently visit the parks and often attend property training sessions to maintain information on safety and current property protocols. Their services are paid for by the Supplier (Disney, Universal) and come at no extra expense to the traveler.
All for Dreams Travel is an independent partner with Gateway Travel/Gateway to Magic Travel, an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner.