by Military Diva
Disney World planning has become slightly more complicated in the past few years. The addition of “myDisneyexperience” and Fast Pass+ has been a wonderful improvement, allowing guests to reserve both dining and attraction experiences in advance. Advanced dining reservations (ADR’s) can be booked 180 days ahead of travel, by any person visiting Disney World. The Fast Pass+ system has slightly different requirements though. Guests staying on Disney World property may reserve their passes for the entire duration of their stay 60 days prior to check-in; off-site guests have their chance 30 days prior to their park visit and must reserve one day at a time. The one requirement for every guest is that a park ticket be linked to their “mydisneyexperience” account.
While this is not a problem for guests purchasing a package from Disney or those with tickets in hand, it has caused concern for members of the military. Guests taking advantage of Disney’s Armed Forces Salute ticket offer do not receive an actual ticket until they arrive at the park. Instead, guests pre-purchasing from their military base or Shades of Green on Walt Disney World receive a voucher that must be activated at a Disney World ticket center. So what to do about those beloved Fast Passes?
No worries! Through “mydisneyexperience” it is still possible to link your vouchers, though it is not as simple as just adding a ticket number.
Let’s take a look at the process and get your Armed Forces Salute Vouchers linked!
- The first step is way too easy…purchase your vouchers! Vouchers can be purchased through your local base and Shades of Green ticketing office while actual tickets may be purchased at Walt Disney World Theme Park ticket windows. (**Correction**Shades of Green now offers tickets instead of vouchers. These tickets no longer need activated or exchanged at park entrances.) If available, I recommend purchasing via your local base. The vouchers will be tax-free and can be done ahead of time, allowing ample time for Fast Pass+ selection. Most ITR offices will keep these vouchers stocked, but I always recommend calling ahead of time to verify hours and availability. ( Some offices do offer to mail your vouchers for an additional charge.) Shades of Green guests will be emailed a link to pre-purchase their vouchers tax-free also, and will be emailed a receipt with voucher numbers. Tickets purchased at Disney World Theme Park ticket booths will be charged tax.
- If you haven’t already done so, set up your ‘mydisneyexperience” account. Visit www.mydisneyexperience.com and select “create an account”. Fill in the required form information and you are ready to move on! (Hopefully you have done this step far enough in advance to reserve your Advanced Dining Reservations-180 day mark!)
- Add friends and family! Once your account is set up and you have entered the site, locate “my DisneyExperience” on the right side of your screen. Under this tab click “My Family and Friends”, “add a guest” and follow the prompts.
- Link a hard ticket. Now this is where the confusion has occurred. Once again click “my DisneyExperience” on the right of the screen, locate “My Reservations and Tickets”, and “Link Tickets”. If you have a hard ticket, enter the numbers found on the back of your ticket and you’re finished.
- Link a paper voucher. Click on “my DisneyExperience”, locate “My Reservations and Tickets”, and “Link Tickets”. This time, however, you will need to click “add an older ticket”, also found on the right hand side. Select the first ticket, on the upper left. Now decipher the numbers on the back of the ticket- first three letters:three digit number for ticket code, enter date (being sure year is a four digit number), two digit ticket number, and security code. Finally, decide which friend or family member will use this ticket and write their name on the ticket.
Congratulations! You are now free to begin making your FastPass+ selections, at your 30 or 60 day mark of course! Please remember that you will still be required to activate these vouchers at a Disney World Theme Park ticket window upon arrival.
Good luck with your linking and be sure to send Disney a word of “Thanks” for continuously supporting our Brave Servicemen and Women.
Note: In the past all Armed Forces Salute vouchers had to be activated at a Disney Guest Service desk prior to first entry into a park. As of January 2016, tickets purchased and picked up via Shades of Green ticket counter are immediately activated and ready for use.
Disclaimer: The photographs included are directly from the Disney World website and are used only for demonstration purposes. We do not claim ownership of any of these images.