By Senior Diva
One of my favorite times to visit Walt Disney World is during the Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival. The colors, types of flowers and topiary that are displayed throughout Epcot are breathtaking. I come home each year with new ideas on how to improve my own garden.
This year the Flower and Garden Festival is celebrating its 20th year and the line-up of special displays and events will prove to be one of the best. The festival will run from March 6 to May 19, 2013. As with any festival that takes place at Epcot, there is a Festival Center where you can find gardening seminars and presentations, many hosted by HGTV and DIY Network personalities. You can get expert gardening tips, planting pointers and this will be the meeting grounds to take the Epcot Gardens of the World Tour. This 3 hour guided tour is conducted by Disney Horticulturists and takes you through many of the special displays and award winning gardens. The tour is only conducted on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 9 a.m. to noon and the cost is $60. You can arrange to take the tour at the Festival Center Guest Relations desk or by calling 407-WDW-TOUR.
Some of the items and specials you will see this year are:
- Topiaries of Mickey, Minnie, Donald and Daisy having a cookout
- A 14 ft. tall Goofy topiary with an anniversary cake to celebrate the Festival’s 20thanniversary
- Gardens and topiaries will be illuminated after dark
- Extra food kiosks will be added to the World Showcase with specially created menus.
Similar to the Eat to the Beat series of concerts offered during the International Food and Wine Festival, the Flower and Garden Festival offers the Flower Power Concert Series. It is held at the America Gardens Theatre, which feature live performances by popular performers from 1960s and 1970s. Concert times (usually at least 2 per day) are available on your daily park guide or at the Festival Center and all concerts are free. Be sure to arrive early to get a good seat! Note: The concert schedule is subject to change without notice and I have experienced substitution and change of artiest with little notice – but this rarely happens. The 2013 line-up includes:
- 3/06 – 3/10: Micky Dolenz
- 3/15 – 3/17: Chubby Checkers and the Wildcats
- 3/22 – 3/24: The Guess Who
- 3/29 – 3/31: Nelson
- 4/05 – 4/07: The Turtles featuring Flo & Eddie
- 4/12 – 4/14: Paul Revere & The Raiders
- 4/19 – 4/21: Village People
- 4/26 – 4/28: The Orchestra, starring Former Members of ELO
- 5/03 – 5/05: Tommy Roe
- 5/10 – 5/12: Herman’s Hermits starring Peter Noone
- 5/17 – 5/19: Starship starring Mickey Thomas
Even if you don’t have a green thumb and are not a gardener, walking around Epcot during this festival, enjoying the perfect Florida spring-time weather, is something that everyone should experience at least once. Epcot theme park admission is required and most Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival events are included with your park admission.
If you have enjoyed this post and want to read more by the Senior Diva, you can visit theadultsideofdisney.com.