By Pink Diva
The Harmony Barber Shop at the Magic Kingdom makes getting a haircut magical. We recently stopped in to get my 1-year-old son a haircut. Here are my top five reasons for visiting the Harmony Barber Shop.
1. They make getting a hair cut fun. The Cast Members at the barber shop love what they do. They are licensed cosmetologists who can cut hair, trim facial hair, and dispense Pixie Dust. My little guy was a little uneasy about sitting in the chair by himself. The barber noticed and started placing Mickey stickers all over his shoes. The distraction was all he needed to relax. They also have whirly toys the kids can play with. My son picked Lightning McQueen and my daughter played with a princess one.
Tip: The barber shop is very small. Strollers, wheelchairs and scooters will not easily fit. It can get overcrowded easily, so wait outside until your name is called.
2. Prices are reasonable.
- Adult Haircut – $19
- Child Haircut with Pixie Dust (age 12 & under) – $15
- Baby’s First Haircut with certificate & Mickey Ear hat (under 1 year) – $18
- Styled with Sparkling Pixie Dust – $5
- Beard or “Moustache” Trim – $10
(Prices updated as of November 2014)
Keep in mind, this is a high volume barber shop, not a salon. There is no sink, blow dryer, or an abundance of hair products. Coming with clean, dry hair will get you the best results. Each appointment takes around 15 minutes.
Tip: Make a reservation. They book up pretty quickly. They do accept walk-ins, but be prepared to wait around an hour. 407-WDW-PLAY for reservations.
3. They have a First Haircut package. For $18 your little one can have their first haircut at the Magic Kingdom! Along with the haircut, they will receive a certificate, lock of their hair, Mickey stickers and Mickey Ears that are embroidered with “My 1st Haircut.” My son is a little over one (but looks a lot older) and they let us do the First Haircut package without an issue.
Tip: If you are set on doing a haircut, plan it in your day. The barber shop is located at the park entrance/exit in Town Square and it might not make sense to leave the far end of the park to go to the front.
4. It’s a great place to watch the parade. We opted to do the haircut on our way out of the park. My son’s haircut was at 3:00 pm. The Festival of Fantasy starts at 3:00 pm, but arrives at the end of the parade route at 3:25 pm. The barber shop is conveniently located at the end of the parade route near the car barn. We arrived around 2:45 pm and there wasn’t anyone lined up for the parade yet. Most of our party stayed outside to watch the stroller and keep our parade spots while Little Guy and I went in. We were able to finish his haircut and get outside right before the parade marched by.
Tip: There are several character greetings around Town Square. Mickey and Tinker Bell are in Town Square Theater and you can use Fast Passes to visit them. Marie, Minnie, Pluto, and Snow White (pending days and times) can also be found in the vicinity.
5. Pixie Dust. For only $5 you can get a quick style (pony tail, braid, bun or mohawk) covered in Pixie Dust. While not as elegant as the Bibbity Boppity Boutique, it is still fun. Large, colorful Pixie Dust is dispensed with a heavy hand leaving you to sparkle all day long. Make a reservation for first thing in the morning to start your day in a fun way.
Tip: Don’t forget to tip! The barbers work hard and appreciate the tips. Treat them like you would any other barber.
Whether you plan on getting a hair cut, Pixie Dusted or just want to check it out, be on the lookout for the Dapper Dans. The Dapper Dans are the resident Barber Shop Quartet and are definitely worth a listen.