-By Darlin’ Diva
When recommending Disney restaurants to friends with older children, I always put Raglan Road Irish Pub and Restaurant in Downtown Disney near the top of the list. All over Walt Disney World there are loads of fun places to eat with little kids – character meals, especially. Sometimes it’s nice to eat somewhere a little more adult, but still a ton of fun. For those times, Raglan Road is just the ticket. While it is very kid friendly, I usually recommend the experience as best for ages 10 and older.
First, the location. In spite of its current state of transition (as it’s being converted into Disney Springs), I still adore everything about Downtown Disney. Even on vacation, I welcome the opportunity to relax with some retail therapy and there is no shortage of fun and exciting places to shop in Downtown Disney. Even Raglan Road has its own store! The atmosphere of Downtown Disney is exciting – the hustle and bustle of the nighttime crowds is entertaining all on its own!
Raglan Road is stylishly appointed, but warm and inviting. Service, in my experience, is flawless in both the pub and restaurant areas. The menu is unique with enough variety to please just about any hungry patron. Seafood, lamb, beef, chicken and vegetarian dishes are plentiful. The selections offer plenty of opportunity to try new and different flavors (chicken curry, mixed grill, Guinness beef stew) – or stick with simple comfort foods (fish and chips, shepherd’s pie, roast chicken, steak). Appetizers, salads and soups and side dishes are all offered in generous variety.
Entertainment! Seven nights a week, from 5:00-10:00 pm, every hour on the hour, Irish Dancers perform in the restaurant. Lively (and live!) Irish music abounds and the dancers are talented and exciting to watch! On Sunday’s from noon to 4:00 pm, guests can enjoy The Rollicking Raglan Brunch Irish Dance Show.
My family and I recently enjoyed a dinner at Raglan Road (May 25th, 2014) and could not have been more pleased with our evening. We started with the “Kiss Before Shrimp” and the “Nom Nom Wings” which were both excellent! Our main courses included the “Raglan Risotto” with shrimp, “Mammy’s Roast Chicken” and “Braised Be Beef”. Those of us old enough enjoyed some excellent wine with our meal. Too full for dessert, we watched the Irish Dancers over coffee, picked up a couple of souvenirs in the gift shop and counted the evening as one of the best of our vacation. Brett was our server and we could not have been more pleased with his Irish charm or his attentive-without-hovering service.
Tips for Enjoying Raglan Road and Downtown Disney:
- I recommend using Disney’s bus transportation to get to Downtown Disney if at all possible – parking is challenging at this particular time.
- Make ADRs (Advance Dining Reservations) for Raglan Road as far in advance of your vacation as possible (up to 180 days prior to arrival).
- Plan some extra time before or after dining to enjoy some leisurely shopping. I can never resist the Disney’s Days of Christmas store and there’s something for everyone to be found in the gigantic World of Disney and the new Marketplace Co-Op.
- Raglan Road is easy to find – as you cross the bridge leaving the Marketplace (walking towards the West Side), you’ll see Raglan Road right past T-REX and Fulton’s Crab House.
- Plan to make an evening of it! A dinner at Raglan Road is much more than a meal – it’s a visit to Ireland and as such, is best savored and enjoyed at a leisurely pace.
- Raglan Road has an excellent website – check out all the details here.
- Thinking of Raglan Road for Lunch? Read Local Diva’s lunch review here.
Until next time…Darlin’ Diva