Halloween is my FAVORITE holiday! It comes with crisp fall leaves, and slightly cooler weather. It also comes with warm and cozy sweaters and boots! (What more does a girl need.) My idea of a perfect fall evening is my couch, a snuggly blanket and a mocha latte while I am either reading really great book or watching a really great movie. If you throw in any pumpkin flavored treat I would be in heaven. This was until we went to Disneyland in the fall. Which combined two of my favorite things into one fantastic package! Halloween at Disney what could be better?
So here are my top 5 Spooktacular reasons to come to Disneyland for Mickey’s Halloween Party.
5. The atmosphere! It begins as you are walking into the park where the entrance gates are decorated with giant carved pumpkins of the Fab Five! Once inside you get to stroll down a Main Street, USA that is all decked out with fall décor and if you are very lucky you will hear and or see The Dapper Dan’s singing my favorite spooky tune “This is Halloween”. You can grab a picture in front of the giant Mickey carved pumpkin or wander through a spookafied New Orleans Square.
Diva Tip: You can also catch the Cadaver Dan’s in New Orleans Square performing more haunting tunes. Like “Grim Grinning Ghosts” and “Cruella De Ville” as well as many others. I am slightly biased but if you are going to check out a Dan’s show the Halloween one is sure to win you over.
4. The Haul! You will bring home enormous amounts of candy. (They also offer healthy options as well.) Between the four of us I would say we easily brought home at least 10 lbs. of candy/treats. They had every kind of candy bar you could think of and the nutritious ones included Craisins, apple crisps, Kid’s Cliff Granola Bars, Kid’s Cliff Fruit Twists, carrots sticks, apple slices, cheez itz, and Keebler Graham Cracker Bugs.
Diva Tip: Bring an extra bag preferably a backpack because your bag will get heavy and your fingertips will get tired. The backpack will help keep the weight of your haul evenly distributed.
3. The Characters! There will be an abundance of characters, some of them are rare and some are not. When we went we met Peter Pan, Wendy, and Captain Hook, Captain Jack Sparrow, Jack Skellington, Perry the Platypus and some Storm Troopers. We caught a glimpse of several villains including Cruella De’ Ville, and the Evil Step Sisters. My family insists that I did not see them but I could swear that I did. There was also the Fab 5 in their Halloween get up as well as the Winnie the Pooh group which is generally Pooh, Tigger, and Eeyore, but also included Rabbit all in their Halloween attire. There were so many more that I’m sure I can’t even begin to remember.
Diva Tip: I will tell you this, you should definitely figure out what you want to do and do it. If you want to meet characters be prepared to wait in LONG lines. In fact don’t be surprised if you have been waiting for a long time and they suddenly switch characters on you. This happened to us with Peter Pan (who my daughter LOVES!) who was switched out for Jack Sparrow. (Who was fantastic by the way!) But when it happened almost put her into tears because who she wanted to see was Peter. It happens and they usually make their way back through rotation. If your kids or you want candy you will be heading all over the park for it, they have the lines moving pretty smoothly but don’t wait until the end of the night they can and do run out of candy. The rides are really pretty easy to get on to the wait times weren’t bad at all with everyone trying to do the other two things this is a bit easier to accomplish. It will seem like the night flies by and before you know it the party is over because you have to squeeze everything into 5 hours or so verses having the whole day. Prioritize and Plan.
2. The Rides! Our family favorite is Space Mountain but during Halloween Time it is transformed into Ghost Galaxy! You can hear hauntingly eerie sounds coming from the ride as you walk through Tomorrowland. The ride has a haunting new sound that sets the tone for your escape from the terrifying and flame like ghost that chases you throughout the galaxy. He is right around every corner just about to grab you! There are more than a few startling moments. In fact there is a warning at the entrance that says this ride might be too scary for younger children. My daughter was 16 and she still screamed every single time she rode it even after she knew what to expect. Next is the Haunted Mansion in New Orleans Square which gets a make-over into The Nightmare Before Christmas. The music, and cast join you throughout the ride and make for a fun change of pace for this normally spooky ride. But my favorite part of this ride is the outer make over with its spooky fall décor. I actually love the Haunted House ride just as it always is. What can I say? I’m a purist. But my kids love this fun transformation.
1. Costumes! This may not be a big deal if you are 9 and under. But if you are 10 and over this is one of the only times throughout year that you are encouraged to show your Disney side. The variety of costumes that you will see will range from ABSOLUTLY FABULOUS to Disney bounding outfits and everything in between. Last year my favorites were this absolutely amazing Rapunzel and Edward Scissorhands. I am kicking myself now because I didn’t take more pictures.
Diva Tips: Wear the costume! You will be glad you did. There is something to be said about being a part of something bigger. By being a participant you make yourself a part of the magic. On the bright side the characters tend to talk and interact with you more when you are dressed up it gives them and you something to talk about.
I couldn’t possibly come close to including everything that I love about Mickey’s Halloween Party. I do think that it is something that should be experienced at least once, so if this is something that you are considering I don’t think you can go wrong. No matter what you will have a ghoulishly good time!