by Wishes Diva
Have you ever heard a fellow Disney fan discussing their recent trip to the parks, and they mention finding a Hidden Mickey? Have you ever wondered what a Hidden Mickey is or where to look for them? Then this article is for you!
What is a Hidden Mickey? Hidden Mickeys are a partial or complete image of Mickey Mouse that has been purposefully hidden by Disney’s Imagineers or artists in a Disney attraction, hotel, restaurant or other area. The Mickey images are meant to blend in to their surroundings and be hunted by sharp-eyed visitors. Hidden Mickeys can come in all shapes and sizes. Most often you will find the outline of Mickey’s head– three intersecting circles. But you will also see side profiles of his head or entire body or his gloves, handprints, shoes or ears! You may also find other Disney favorites in “hidden” form, such as Donald Duck and Goofy!
When I plan my trips to Disney World, I will often consider planning to find a few new Hidden Mickeys on my trip. To find new ones for each trip I often refer to Steven M. Barrett, the author of the Hidden Mickey Field Guide and owner of the hiddenmickeysguide.com website! He has spent his life searching for Hidden Mickeys in and around the parks and telling the world about what he has found via his books and website. His covers most of the Disney locations including Disneyland and the cruise lines as well! His books also have fun scavenger hunts complete with point values to really get your competitive fairy dust flowing!
Below are my Top 12 Hidden Mickeys (because 10 was not enough!). These are all ones I have personally found in and around the parks. Happy hunting!
- Haunted Mansion (Magic Kingdom)- In the banquet/party scene, look down at the long dining table. On the last place setting on the left the plates form a Mickey head.
- Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin (Magic Kingdom)- In the queue line along the left hand side, look for a planet with a continent shaped like the side profile of Mickey.
- Mickey’s Philharmagic (Magic Kingdom)- Inside the theater after you take your seat, look closely at the border of the video screen. In the top right corner you will find a Mickey head in the french horn tubing.
- “it’s a small world” (Magic Kingdom)- As you exit the Africa scene, the vines on the right near the giraffes have leaves shaped like Mickey heads.
- Jungle Cruise (Magic Kingdom)- In the scene where the rhino has chased the men up a tree, there are three small rocks, halfway up on the right side that form a Mickey.
- Soarin’ (EPCOT)- At the end of your trip as your complete your flight over Disneyland, the second firework blast forms a huge Mickey head in the sky.
- The Seas with Nemo & Friends Pavilion (EPCOT)- Inside the aquarium on the right-hand side, check the sand along the bottom. Somewhere in the tank there should be a classic Mickey head, or Goofy’s face. I have seen both appear on different trips!
- Spaceship Earth (EPCOT)- Just after the printing press scene, look for the first painter on the left. There are three white paint circles that form a Mickey head on the table.
- Rock’n’Roller Coaster (Hollywood Studios)- In the pre-show room where you see Aerosmith, there are guitar cables coiled into a Mickey head in the center back of the room.
- Toy Story Pizza Planet Restaurant (Hollywood Studios)- Above the wall of arcade games, in the moon near the top there is a three-quarter Mickey profile facing to the left.
- Kilimanjaro Safari (Animal Kingdom)- In the elephant area, the island in the flamingo pond is shaped like a Mickey head (on the left-hand side of the vehicle).
- Maharajah Jungle Trek (Animal Kingdom)- After you exit the tiger temple, turn around to the left. In the mural on the wall, within the dark green leaves is a classic Mickey head.
The best tip I can give for finding Hidden Mickeys that are the classic three circle Mickey head is to keep an eye out for any round objects. They can be hidden almost anywhere you look. Also, don’t forget to ask Cast Members if they know of any fun Hidden Mickey’s in their area! Most of the time they know of at least one!
Be sure and comment with your favorite Hidden Mickey locations to share with our other readers! Maybe you have found one that few other visitors have seen!